Geofences enforce where the drone may not fly. You might set up a geofence for areas of high RF interference, restricted airspace around a property or building, and so on. Depending on how they are configured, they can entirely restrict access to the drone, or simply limit the drone to a maximum and/or minimum altitude within the specified area.
Geofences can also affect the drone's path back to its launch site, and as such will have a "shadow" opposite to where the launch site is. This shadow limits the drone's range and can in some cases restrict the drone from access, even though it is not actually within the specified geofence.
Complete the following steps to create a new geofence:
- From the left taskbar, click the Geofences button.
- Click Add Geofence.
- Click a point on the map to start drawing the geofence area. Click along the map to add points to the polygon that defines the geofence, and double-click to complete drawing.
You can further adjust the shape by clicking the dots along the perimeter to reshape or add more points.
- When you are done with the area, click Next.
- Provide a Name, Description, Max Altitude, and Min Altitude for the area, and toggle the geofence as active or inactive as appropriate.
- Click Save when you are finished. The new geofence will appear on the map.